I guess the original doll used felts for the body and hair, but I decided to use 100%
cotton fabrics. I used scraps for the body. Accesorizing the doll was the most fun part. I added a "Tea Rose Home touch" to the doll by adding some lace, and a flower hair clip...Ah, so fun!
The doll looked cold in this January weather, so I made a matching quilt for her. I will tell you what I did:
~A Little Quilt for Black Apple Doll~
Finished size 12" X 12"
1. Cut 16 pieces of 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" squares from 4-5 different fabrics.
2. Lay them out 4 down, 4 across. Try not to put the same fabrics next to each other.
3. Sew each row first, then sew the strips together. Don't forget to Iron each strip for better result. Combine the first two strips, then iron, continue until all strips are sewn together.
4. For the backing I used minky, but you can use pretty much anything.
5. I finished with bias tape, but you can apply your favorite method for finishing the quilt.
I had so much fun making this doll. This year has barely started and my "things to make" list for this year is already really long... I might make this for my nieces next Christmas.
Oh, btw- I am linking to this site today. There are many talented people there, go check them out and see what they are up to.