Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Diamond Quilt


Over the weekend, we visited family, and had a nice time. I was particularly excited that I was able to finish a quilt. A quilt I pieced so many months ago, but afraid to machine quilt and walked away from it for a while... I wanted to give it to my brother-in-law as a house warming gift.

I stayed away from my usual colors and flower patterns(giggle), and went with darker colors and plaids. I used a 60 degree diamond ruler to cut the fabrics (I bought my ruler at Joann's with a 50% off coupon, by the way). Cutting and piecing the fabrics went pretty quick. Can you imagine using different fabrics to make this diamond quilt? Ah... did I hear Amy Butler? Woo, I am so going to...

He gave us a tour of his first place he purchased, and I was soo excited that the color of the quilt actually went with the couch and the chair he had in his living room!


Do you know what else I was so excited about? I. Machine. Quilted. It!!


I mentioned that I wanted to practice machine quilting more, but I was really worried that I would mess it up. But, you know, it actually wasn't so bad, I just did loops all over the quilt and it turned out OK for a machine quilting apprentice. :)

11 comments :

  1. What a good job on the quilting! It is lovely and a very nice quilt for a brother in his new home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOH that is so beautiful Lucky man to have such a lovely quilt.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! And I can't agree more with this quilt being a great one for Amy butler prints!! I just signe on for a craftsy course on machine quilting--so nervous but excited--yours turned out beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great quilt! I love it! The colors are so comfortable and cozy, and the machine quilting is the perfect finish! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take a bow! That's great! I have 'first time machine quilters block' too -- I have 7 quilt tops waiting for me to be brave! I'm so impressed. I'm going to have to jump in and try it now. Any special tips you can share? The experts make it sounds so matter of fact and easy. Tell me from a real person's perspective!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job and the quilt turned out beautifully! I have never tried machine quilting but have done quite a bit of hand quilting in the past. I love the colors and I am glad it matched his furniture. I'll bet he loves it! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful! I'd have never guessed to you being an apprentice at all :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely quilt. The machine quilting looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely quilt to give to your brother-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
  10. To je nádherná deka, super :-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin